Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Celebrating Diwali

               
      We will stay in Ambala for a few days, since the Diwali festival is coming up. I have no idea what Diwali is, so I asked Dilijan. She has taught me Indian culture and Hinduism for 2 weeks, but to be honest, I am so confused by all the gods and myths. So she used the simplest word to explain what is Diwali.
      Diwali is a Hindu festival of lights. It is celebrated in autumn every year. People will clean their houses and light up diyas(candles) inside and outside of their houses.  People also buy gifts for family members. There will be fireworks and firecrackers. Dancers will dress up and perform stick dance. The diyas will light up the whole city.
   
      We took some photos of Diwali, as you can see, it is a delightful and fantastic festival. I was so amazed when I saw that the whole city was lighted up by diyas. I think this brightness signifies the victory that light over darkness, knowledge over ignorance, good over evil, and hope over despair. It is such an amazing festival because everyone can enjoy the brightness and joy.   
       
      For me, this festival is a little bit similar to Christmas. We both celebrate with our family, we buy gifts to family members, and we celebrate the brightness and goodness of our lives. But we have many stories about Christmas, for example, the story of Santa and Grinch. I wonder if there is any stories for Diwali.

      Also, I got a letter from John Watson. He told us that they got the results back from the Cambridge Lab. The seeds that they found in the granaries of Mohenjo-Daro are cotton, wheat, and barley seeds.
      This means that Indian civilization is the first civilization to cultivate cottons! This is such an amazing finding!
   
       





1 comment:

  1. The video is very cool and I think it gives a great idea about what the actual festival feels like.

    ReplyDelete